Meditation is the practice of sitting in preparation of calming your body and mind and opening yourself up to discovering insight into the nature of your being.
Meditation is to turn the focus of the mind’s concentration inward to a level where there is no present, past or future.
Physical Benefits of Meditation
· Reduced work load of the heart
· Decreased high blood pressure
· Drop in cholesterol levels as high cholesterol is associated with cardiovascular disease
· Lowered levels of cortisol known as the ‘stress hormone’ because stress activates cortisol secretion
· Improved flow of air to the lungs resulting in easier breathing - this has been very helpful to asthma patients.
· Reduction of free radicals - unstable oxygen molecules that can cause tissue damage. A major factor in aging and in many diseases.
Emotional and Psychological Benefits of Meditation
· Greater relaxation
· Improved focus and concentration
· Increased emotional stability
· Better capacity to make decisions
· Greater self-insight, self-actualization
· Improved relationships
· Decreased anxiety
· Decreased depression
· Decreased irritability and moodiness
· Improved learning ability and memory
· Increased feelings of vitality and rejuvenation
· Increased happiness
Easy Pose - Sukhasana
Surama, Pinar del Rio, Cuba